It seems that the bizzare technique of adding liquid nitrogen to drinks in bars will be stopped due to new advice that it could be dangerous to some people and this has been demonstrated by the 16 year old in Lancaster who had part of her stomach removed after drinking one such drink

 

“Professor Peter Barham from the University of Bristol’s School of Physics has provided expert comment to The Daily Telegraph, the Huffington Post, CBS News, The Independent, the Daily Mirror, the Daily Mail, Sky, about the effects of liquid nitrogen. The commentary is in light of today’s news story about a sixth form pupil who had her stomach removed following an adverse reaction to liquid nitrogen.

Professor Barham said: “Liquid nitrogen is simply the harmless gas nitrogen which has been cooled to such a low temperature that it becomes a liquid. It is intensely cold – (-196°C) and if not used properly can cause frostbite or cryogenic burns. If liquid nitrogen is added to a liquid such as an ice cream mixture, it cools the liquid rapidly while it boils away and produces a cloud of vapour.

“The technique is used by some restaurants to prepare instant ice creams at the table – the rapid freezing produces an ice cream with particularly small ice crystals which has a very smooth texture.

“As with any very hot or very cold liquid proper safety measure must be taken – just as no-one would drink boiling water or oil or pour it over themselves, so no-one should……”  Read the rest of the story here…http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2012/8847.html

 

So the best advice you can have is keep well away from drinks with liquid nitrogen added because that is the only way you can guarantee that no harm is going to come to you.